Saturday 7 April 2012

Unfortunately I did not have my camera to hand this afternoon to capture the hen feeding her chicks. At 5 days old, their heads are clearly visible above the nest pan with necks outstretched to be fed. An amazing sight. They are also now calling much more learly than the peeping you hear at first hatching. I was worried that the youngest in the nest who had fully hatched this morning, would be ignored but the hen is reaching down to feed that one too.

This is a hobby filled with excitement for me and great advice and contacts from the breeders from whom I acquired my stock. I had been advised and had read that a single chick would not be reared but the other pair seem to be doing a good job and the breeder has advised me to leave well alone so we'll just trust nature to see to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment